MENU

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mompetitors, Competitive Mothers. UGH





Mompetitors and the Competitive Mom.

One of the biggest mysteries I know is the one where friends compete. I'm not talking about a fun competition of lets see how much weight we can lose or who can make the best cupcakes. No, what was once a competition to see who could get the cutest boyfriend in high school has now moved onto a new frontier now that we are older-our children.

Some moms are completely narcissistic about their children-they talk (bragging) constantly about how talented their children are, how smart, creative and sports inclined. Others silently take it all in and make it their mission to outdo all those moms by signing their children up for EVERY class known to man. If there is not a class, then they look up online and create a lesson!

Don't make the mistake of telling anyone about trouble your child is having in a certain area; they mistake it for a weakness. It's sort of like when your best friend goes on a diet to lose five pounds because you've gained weight. This mom you tell will go out and now use you (and possibly your child) to make their child have an even greater perceived competitive edge.

I am not saying all moms are like these moms I describe above. Certainly, I have wonderful friends that are supportive, wonderful mothers that lend a helping hand or supportive ear and it's a reciprocal relationship.

Sometimes when an encounter with one of these moms occurs, I get a twinge of anger and feel that rivalry. And then, I snap out of it. After all, I want to be the best mother I can be to my children but I don't want them to have MY baggage. I am supportive but I follow their lead. The worst thing a mother can do is steal their child's ability to self-motivate and feel their own pride for their accomplishments.

So, my children are doing well and they are doing it mostly on their own. When they do something great, I say 'Good for you'. If they want to talk about their accomplishments, then I am there to encourage and show that I am proud of them and supportive of their dreams and goals. However, I am not going to awaken any sense of competition that didn't arise from their own little hearts!

And, I will not let these mothers awaken any sense of competition in my own heart that wasn't there before I met them. Just like that, these mothers are just a memory-that is until the next PTO meeting!

How about you? Do you know any moms like the competitive ones I described above? How did you deal with them?


pop is best served up as a side dish to life.
Christine Rap

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL @ that video and post. So true!

Anonymous said...

Annoying mothers. They're everywhere!

Anonymous said...

I second the 'UGH' vote. I almost got angry the other day too!

Anonymous said...

A little competition is good. Survival of the fittest

Anonymous said...

Realize that Mompetitors are simply trying to compensate for their own feelings of inadequacy and self doubt by forcing their children into a perceived "success". It's pitiful, exhausting to watch and not beneficial to their children.

Anonymous said...

^

I agree with above comment. They are the insecure ones.

Anonymous said...

so true!

Anonymous said...

You have truly captured what I think is wrong with our society. Parents, mostly moms, sign their kids up for everything offered under the sun. Recently I learned of a Wrestling Class that is offered to 6 year olds. Honestly I would never offer this to my 6 year old. They are so young. They are only young for so long. Why do we fill up every evening and weekend with activities? Where is the family time? Where is the family bonding? I also agree with letting your children pick their activities. Take lead from them at all times (when appropriate). If you Let your children form their own identities they will be reaping the rewards later in life. Great post Mom & Pop Life!!! I'm diggin it for sure!

Follow Us On Facebook